40 thoughts on “The Land of Neverendings

1. Firstly, I am really excited about being part of the Concorde Book Award and also the book club here at Chipping Sodbury school. This is my first time being in a book club and having such an important job to do, reading these books and the blogging, is really exciting. I hope to reply and comment on all your views on these books.

Sorry! Very excited! Back to the book…

My first book of the awards is The Land of Neverendings. I chose this book to begin with as the front cover is intriguing and the title is interesting. The bit saying “Imagination makes the world go round” is great as I think I have a great imagination. The characters make me wonder what and where they are going and the colours of the dark shadows and the light of the moon is mysterious.
    The blurb on the back of the book is very mysterious too because it talks about a creature with wheels instead of feet coming through a girl’s cat flap. This sounds strange to me. The shorter sentence “welcome to the world of neverendings” I also really like and I can’t wait to start reading this book.

HM – Yr 7 at Chipping Sodbury School

• hi MH
      What did you think of the book? I agree as the blurb intrigued me too. The idea about imagination is a great key to the story. Hope you enjoyed

• I definitely agree, the cover certainly pulled me in and made me want to read more. This is my first book club too (or has been) and it has been great. I love the way you have recommended books and that they appeal to all readers.

2. Hello everyone,
    I am now into about half of the book and I am really enjoying it. I think it’s a really deep story and I am really involved with the main character “Emily” and the story between her and her sister “Holly”. It’s made me feel really sad and thoughtful.
    I really like the involvement of the toy and how the story centers on this as reminder of Emily’s sister. This makes me think about my own younger childhood and how my toys had personalities and came to life. The voice of the sister still being heard is a really good idea.
    I am looking forward to finish this book over half term and finding out what happens.
    HM -Yr7 CSS

• I agree that the story is deep and mysterious and I also feel that I really connect and understand Emily. I was upset as well when I read that her sister was dead and they were really close. I find using the toy moving and happy that all those memories can come back with a simple look at a toy. I find the voice of the sister a good idea and it shows what a strong bond Emily had with her sister.

3. I think this book looks really interesting; the cover seems magical. This would not be the usual book I would choose to read just judging it from the front cover. The front cover is inviting thought with the characters looking mysterious and mystical but also sad. Colours used catches your eyes especially the bronze lettering adding to the magic. I assume this is a fantasy adventure?
    My first thoughts reading the blurb is that the story sounds interesting and mysterious. It says about a different world and this interests me as it will be about a different place other than here (our world and time). I used to have TY toys as a kid all lined up on my bed and all of them had different names and personalities. Remembering back to then, it would have been great to think that we would have our whole lives together in this world and the next one – a toy after life.
    I’m excited to read it over half term. I really enjoy mysterious books with lots of suspense.

• I agree the cover looks so enchanting and interesting if I look at the cover I would take it to read but it wouldn’t be my first choice. yes the cover looks really sad with the isolated scene and a few neglected toys. the bronze lettering is what caught my eye first and I loved the style of writing it is so mesmerising. I first thought it would be a horror or something ridiculous.

4. Although this book was not a stand out on cover against others, the interesting story within set it apart from most! Kate Saunders addresses key issues today with a fun, rather light-hearted twist. The plot follows the main character Emily as she is accidentally enveloped in the problems of the toys living in the fantasy town of Smockeroon (a story Emily made up for her sister Holly who passed away) to try and help them keep their home working by going on a whirlwind journey. It didn’t leave me waiting. It was a great book.

• Hi Daisy,
      I really found this book interesting too, especially the last chapter.
      What did you think about this part with the brothers? I agree that it looks at key issues for children and I loved the adventure and journey of the characters. I’ve finished it now and feel it was a really good book in my opinion and would recommend it to other students.
      HM @ CSS

5. Hello everyone,
    I am about 3/4 through the book and so far I love it! I love the way the author uses the involvement of the toys and how it relates to my childhood. When I was younger, I used to think my toys came alive when no one was looking and this relates to it. At first, I think it was very sad when the author mentioned about the dead sister called “Holly” and the way “Emily” talked about her dead sister it make me feel sad and grateful. I am really enjoying this book and I can’t wait to finish it! One of my favourite characters is “Ruth” she seems very nice and gentle and I love everything about her. I can’t wait to share when I’m finished!

6. I really like The Land of Neverendings. It’s really imaginative and different to any book I have read before. The story is very gradual and I like the way it builds up slowly; introducing the characters and the plot. I really like how it mixes reality – dealing with death which lots of people deal with and a fantasy world – how toys come alive. With both of themes it’s something I can relate to and I’m sure most people can. Each chapter seems different from each other so it’s keeping my interest all the way through – I’m not getting bored.
    Looking forward to finishing the book soon to see how it ends.

7. Hi. It’s me again. I’m about halfway through the book. It’s a very imaginitive story that is really leaving me in suspense every time I put the book down. It also tries to highlight some real-life issues aswell: dealing with death as a young person is quite sad. Looking forward to finishing!

• I’ve finished the book. It had a very good storyline that left me wanting to know what happened next. This book was great and I hope a sequel comes out!

8. Hi, I am so excited to be in a book club. Even though I’m in year 8 this is my first time being in the club because last year the day it was on I couldn’t do. The book I’m reading is really good and I have faced something like the main character Emily so I feel for her and know how she feels.

When I was younger my dad made up stories about me and favourite teddy. This is like Emily making up Smockeroon for Holly and Bluey.

I really recommend this book even though I am only half way through it.

9. Hi. I have only read up to chapter three so far but am really enjoying the story. I found the first chapter really sad and the first sentence was dramatic for a start sentence. I think the book is really realistic and I can’t wait to read more.

• Hello I completely agree with you and Kate Saunders is a great author and brings magic into her books.
      You don’t have to look far in this book for magic. It’s right in front of your eyes.

10. Hey everyone, I have finished Land of Neverendings!!
    I really really enjoyed this book because it was a happy ending 🙂
    The book wasn’t what I was expecting initially and it was very imaginative and fanatical but I really liked it this way. It was really good that there are elements of the book that are from real life and this was really interesting to know. I think there are elements of my life in this book too.
    I would recommend this book to others who are into fantasy stories and like something different to the normal adventure stories. It makes you think about and consider friends and younger children and how we were when we were younger.

• I really agree with these comments and it does make you travel back to when you were children and having stories made up for you.

11. Hi. I am now at chapter eight and am loving the book so far. It is just getting interesting and I don’t want to put it down. Mysterious things have just started happening and I cant wait to read more.

12. Hi me again I wanted to say that I find the front cover interesting to look at and it makes me ask questions before I started reading. Then when I turned to the first page to find answers I was greeted by the first sentence which led me to more questions.

13. Hi. I think this book is really great and even though i am only half way through i think the book is amazing and would give it 10/10. The first sentence really makes you ask questions. The book really draws you in and makes you think what will happen next. I would recommenced it to people who love fantasy and adventure.

14. I have read up to Chapter 10 in “The Land of Neverendings” by Kate Saunders, and I think it’s great! I wouldn’t have picked it up off the shelf, but I am really impressed by how it takes a dark theme (such as loss) and flips it on its head with a positive twist! So far, I would recommend it, and I think I would give it an 8/10. However, I’m going to have to keep reading it, which I isn’t that hard!

15. hi its me again I am now in the middle of chapter twelve and it is just getting to its climax. so much has already happened but there ar3e still so many of my questions that are waiting to be answered. I am not a s far in the book as everyone else because I am a slow reader but am loving the book. there are so many twists and turns and it keeps me on the edge of my seat. I hate having to put it down its a definite page turner.

16. I would like to start by saying I love the front cover of the book! The colours look very nice together while being quite abstract. The premise of this novel sounds very interesting, it makes me think of a mixture of Coraline and Toy Story. I am looking forward to reading this book.

17. I’ve finished ‘The Land of Neverendings’ by Kate Saunders, and personally I thought it was great! It really tugged on my heart strings at some points, but I think it deals with death very well, and tries to say that nothing’s ever really gone. Overall, it’s a very positive story with a lot of silliness that isn’t afraid to talk about sensitive topics. 9/10.

18. Wow! From reading the blurb, I never expected the first sentence!!
    What an opening.
    I don’t think I have ever read a book that deals with this theme in such a open way.
    Can’t wait to read more!

19. Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am really pleased to be part of the book club and awards. I have recently moved to this school and love coming to the library so doing this is really exciting.
    I have had Land of Neverendings over the christmas holiday break and sad to say, that unlike most of you, I haven’t found the book interesting. In fact, I would say it was quite boring. I didn’t really like it at all. Fantasy isn’t my go to genre – I prefer Crime and Mystery so looking forward to Potkin and Stubbs and Whiteout. Actually starting the Boy at the Back of the Class today.

20. I haven’t yet read this book but both the cover and the blurb suggest that it will be a very magical read. The warm, almost soft colours on the cover mixed with the whimsical characters and beautiful sketches on the cover draw my eye and make me want to read this book. Judging by the cover this book seems very innocent and childlike in a sweet, nostalgic way. The rhetorical question “what if there exists a world powered by imagination?” adds to the magical feel of the book and reminds me of a book i loved when i was younger by Enid Blyton called “The far away tree”. Overall i cant wait to read this book! 🙂 🙂 🙂

21. Hi, ‘The Land of Never-Endings’ was the first ever book that I have read for the CBA’s and I think it was a good one to start off with. It was a really unusual book that showed me how a person can react when they lose someone in death and how they sometimes just need someone to talk to.
    I also think how the story relates to Kate Saunders herelf is very good. She is basically the character Ruth.
    I didn’t love the cover especially. Although it tied in to the book, I think it could of been added to.
    So, overall, I would give it a 4/5!

22. I have just finished the book and I don’t want to give any spoilers but the ending surprised me I didn’t think that was going to happen and it certainly left me asking where book 2 is. I couldn’t put nit down and found the whole story moving and relatable in some ways to my childhood it is such an incredible book and cant wait to read more stories by Kate Saunders.

23. Hi everyone
    I finished reading this book and I thought it was a great book and it was mysterious and I completely understand Emily. That’s all from me for this book. But I cant wait to read the others

24. This books cover is definitely drawing me in, I love the colours in the design. My first thoughts are that it looks a bit more aimed towards younger children, however after reading the blurb it sounds like its for older children and adults.Based of the blurb my prediction is that it is about where children and their toys go after they die and what would happen if the wall between the worlds was broken, which gives me his dark materials vibes!

Death is a touchy subject for me and I am personally very afraid of it and have thanatophobia. I hope the book helps me with this fear and I love finding books that help me face my fears and comfort me. I think this book will do that , because as i said it look aimed towards younger audiences as well as older ones

Overall i am very excited to read this book and find out what it is about, and how it deals with sensitive subjects!

25. The truth about lies is an amazing book; would definitely recommend it to all audiences and it combines fun and emotions in such a lovely, touching way! It got me gripped from beginning to end and it involved all the most important subjects in life through a puzzling, gripping story. All the toys had such strong, developed characters; I really felt like I was there with them! Brilliant book: 9 and 1/2 out of 10!

26. I picked up this book as a recommended one to try next. I do admit that I wasn’t so sure about it in chapter 1 but the more I read, the more I loved it

27. I loved this book! The cover intrigues me and I was left in suspense throughout the novel to who these mysterious characters were.The colours on the blurb drew me in immediately. This book reminds me of my childhood and initially I thought it was aimed at a younger age range but as I read on I realised I couldn’t put this book down. I think the characters are charming and I feel like they are very relate able. The plot was slow at first however it made up for this as I feel like the ending was appropriate.

28. I loved this book and I found it very sweet and comforting. The characters were vibrant and the plot was well developed.

29. 5 stars it was so full of imardery and colour . This book was so thrilling and funny . I cant wait to see you all next week . Not my favorited book but I stilled loved it . Would read it again .